LURKzz

Nov 14, 2023
Just think about the guys who played while the game was in development and needed to wait for the next update,
Yeah nah that would be horrible. I did finish the game shortly after I wrote that post, my heart is once again happy. Are there any other games like this that's super emotional/tragic? I love slowburns especially.

Grif1001

Game Developer
Aug 30, 2017
Yeah nah that would be horrible. I did finish the game shortly after I wrote that post, my heart is once again happy. Are there any other games like this that's super emotional/tragic? I love slowburns especially.
I know a good one that's not finished yet :LOL:

Seriously though, I actually came here to comment on something that I have been thinking on in regard to the music in the game... I have heard people on both sides saying that either the original music was better or that they loved the final music package.

I played the game first when it ended with chapter 5 (thank God it wasn't chapter 6) and then again right before it was completed. I love both versions, but I only played the old music version once. All of my subsequent play throughs were after it was complete and I played all the other playthroughs with the new music, and I really love it.

So here's my thought... I have heard both sides say that the music perfectly suports each scene. Now, as a dev myself, I try and think about how I want you to feel about a scene when I am choosing the music for it. I use the music to help me build the scene for you subconciously. So, for a conscientious Dev who uses the music as a tool and not just background noise, the reason everyone feels like the music perfectly matches the scenes is because Drifty was intentional about making it that way. Even when he had to change the music, he didn't just throw in any old song to fill the space, he was still very intentional about his selections.

It is my belief that the bigest reason that people have differing views about which is better is a combination of 2 factors.

1st and most importantly. Which music they originally connected the scenes to... Someone who played each chapter as it came out would have heard the songs for chapter one 6 times by the time it had to be changed, more if they played multiple routes. 5+ times for chapter 2, 4+ for chapter 3 and so on. Those songs were burned into their perception of the game's matrix. for them the original music will always be the more meaningful option. However, if they didn't play it until after the new music, then their entire experiance with the game is centered around the world that was built with the new music package. Their emotional perspective of the game hinges on that song selection.

2nd. Their own specific tastes in music. Some people, even though they played it with one version first, may find that, due to their specific musical preference, may end up liking the music from the other version better. They like that beat more, or that voice better, or that the singer is higher or deeper or that the instruments feel lighter, or more substantial.

So I honestly think it is useless to contend that one version is better than they other. Honestly that seems to be a matter of opinion. I think the best course would be to agree that Drifty did an excelent job in a dificult position and gave us a great soundtrack with both versions.

But again, that's just one man's opinion. Thanks for reading it.

JoeAngel

Oct 16, 2020
guys I have Problem after the Setup Windows 7 The Usely my fav Some of My Renpy Games DOESN'T Open I no Text Nothing Just nothing Can anyone Guide Me one of them is that Game I GOT NO CLUE WHY

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
guys I have Problem after the Setup Windows 7 The Usely my fav Some of My Renpy Games DOESN'T Open I no Text Nothing Just nothing Can anyone Guide Me one of them is that Game I GOT NO CLUE WHY
Just a guess, but I suspect Ren'Py 8 has stopped supporting Win 7? I have no clue though, that's just my guess.

Jan 26, 2024
  • Red Heart
Reactions: Elhemeer

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
LOL, sorry.... I was looking at this topic to find the part where people are waiting for the update. I forgot than the
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
was in the chapter still, so people knew
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Still hard to wait the continuation.
No worries, I was just playin'

JoeAngel

Oct 16, 2020
Guys I have Problem After having problem with my power suply I got to install new Windows 7 my fav windows Some of My Renpy games won't open no error only doesn't launch this game is one of them I GOT no Clue what to do HELP

hermit_tr

Jan 20, 2022
Guys I have Problem After having problem with my power suply I got to install new Windows 7 my fav windows Some of My Renpy games won't open no error only doesn't launch this game is one of them I GOT no Clue what to do HELP
I think you installed windows 32 bit. As far as i know some games here can't run on windows 32 bit without 32 bit .exe .

Tremonia

Queen Lydia's bitch
Donor
Jun 14, 2020
The problem is Windows 7. RenPy uses Python 3 since Version 8.x and LoF is Ren'Py 8.0.2. Windows 7 is to old to handle Python 3. If you consider how many security gaps Windows 7 has, which are now known and which will never be closed because Microsoft no longer releases updates for them, you should no longer use this operating system anyway.

Reactions: Rehwyn

bonehead1st

May 25, 2018
so its been over 6 months and I think I'm finally emotionally stable enough to talk about the shit this game ended up helping me get through. so I guess the best place to start would be that I've never played a game that had me invested in the characters as much this one, I was so invested it actually hurt so much when Cece tried to kill herself the second time I cried through that entire event, it almost felt like someone close to me had tried to commit suicide and I actually had to process the grief that came with it. that experience somehow ended up helping me process the emotional turmoil I ended up going through when less than 4 months after completing the game a friend of mine tried to take her own life, she survived and is doing better now, but somehow what I experienced playing through the final portion of this game helped me stay stable enough to offer her my support during her recovery instead of breaking down into an emotional mess.

so thank you DriftyGames for making this masterpiece of a game that ended up helping me through one of the worst times of my life.

and remember everyone your life is a precious thing if not to you than it is to someone else, so please if you ever think of doing such a thing, think of what it would do to those who care about you because weather or not you can see it I can guarantee there is someone out there that will grieve for your loss, and if you just need someone to rant at, then I'm sure anyone of us here would be willing to listen.

swilkes022

Jul 4, 2024
so its been over 6 months and I think I'm finally emotionally stable enough to talk about the shit this game ended up helping me get through. so I guess the best place to start would be that I've never played a game that had me invested in the characters as much this one, I was so invested it actually hurt so much when Cece tried to kill herself the second time I cried through that entire event, it almost felt like someone close to me had tried to commit suicide and I actually had to process the grief that came with it. that experience somehow ended up helping me process the emotional turmoil I ended up going through when less than 4 months after completing the game a friend of mine tried to take her own life, she survived and is doing better now, but somehow what I experienced playing through the final portion of this game helped me stay stable enough to offer her my support during her recovery instead of breaking down into an emotional mess.

so thank you DriftyGames for making this masterpiece of a game that ended up helping me through one of the worst times of my life.

and remember everyone your life is a precious thing if not to you than it is to someone else, so please if you ever think of doing such a thing, think of what it would do to those who care about you because weather or not you can see it I can guarantee there is someone out there that will grieve for your loss, and if you just need someone to rant at, then I'm sure anyone of us here would be willing to listen.
This illustrates a point I made earlier in the thread perfectly. If they could make a modified version of the game that removes all of the sex and other R/X-rated content, but keeps the basic storyline, I think it would be an excellent tool for High School health classes as part of their lessons on suicide prevention. This game is more powerful than anything some celebrity could say in the usual videos they show in class.

hampsure

Dec 4, 2021
So I honestly think it is useless to contend that one version is better than they other. Honestly that seems to be a matter of opinion. I think the best course would be to agree that Drifty did an excelent job in a dificult position and gave us a great soundtrack with both versions.
Agreed. I loved music from both so much that I ended up using the music restoration mod but changing my script files to be a mix of my preferred songs from each version.

I'm currently between playing other large completed games (trying to decide what's up next) spending time trying some in-progress games but I'm considering finishing another route in LoF before moving on since I realized I haven't done a playthrough this year. I did the Cece route in 2022, all Lexi and Holly route variants in 2023, and so it's about time to pick it back up for this year's soon. I still have at least Linda and Steph routes that I really wanted to do. No matter how well I know the story I always need to be in the right headspace and have some extra time to put aside to play again.

The problem is Windows 7. RenPy uses Python 3 since Version 8.x and LoF is Ren'Py 8.0.2. Windows 7 is to old to handle Python 3. If you consider how many security gaps Windows 7 has, which are now known and which will never be closed because Microsoft no longer releases updates for them, you should no longer use this operating system anyway.
You sure that's the issue? I'm on Win11 now (love the machine, hate the OS) but I played LoF versions 1.0c and 1.031s (Steam), both of which use Python 3, on my old Win7 machine without any issues.

bonehead1st

May 25, 2018
This illustrates a point I made earlier in the thread perfectly. If they could make a modified version of the game that removes all of the sex and other R/X-rated content, but keeps the basic storyline, I think it would be an excellent tool for High School health classes as part of their lessons on suicide prevention. This game is more powerful than anything some celebrity could say in the usual videos they show in class.
That is honestly something I wanted to mention but didn’t think I should bring it up as part of what I had to say in that post, thinking on it now I probably should have.

Reactions: swilkes022

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
That is honestly something I wanted to mention but didn’t think I should bring it up as part of what I had to say in that post, thinking on it now I probably should have.
It's alright. It's been brought up a few times, and Drifty even flirted with the idea briefly, but I guess he decided against it in the end.

Interestingly, one of the games I play (Mythos) just announced their final steam version would have a "Faux-SFW" switch you could turn on in the settings ... I added the "faux" cause I don't remember if it removes all NSFW content or just full-on sex scenes, and I think it just skips them (That said, I don't actually remember if there's any NSFW content outside of those scenes either, now that I think about it.)

Still, this is just a switch you can turn on and off in the settings, it's not a separate version of the game, but still found the timing amusing.

Kazanovaromeo

Engaged Member
Jun 28, 2022
Hopping So very much Really. :love:
and it will be the 1st game here to make it as a movie also. :whistle:
but Ce la vie :cry: it is about the law in fact.

Last edited:

Tremonia

Queen Lydia's bitch
Donor
Jun 14, 2020
You sure that's the issue? I'm on Win11 now (love the machine, hate the OS) but I played LoF versions 1.0c and 1.031s (Steam), both of which use Python 3, on my old Win7 machine without any issues.
I'm sure you used the 32bit version which is compiled with Ren'Py 7.4.11 which uses Python 2. Since Leap Of Faith V1.0 the 64bit version is Ren'Py 8.0.2 as Drifty stated in the Changelog from 09/09/2022.

hampsure

Dec 4, 2021
I'm sure you used the 32bit version which is compiled with Ren'Py 7.4.11 which uses Python 2. Since Leap Of Faith V1.0 the 64bit version is Ren'Py 8.0.2 as Drifty stated in the Changelog from 09/09/2022.
Dunno - I booted up the old Win7 system to check. The versions I mentioned run as 64 bit and the log file reports "Ren'Py 8.0.2.22081402" and script version 8.0.2. :unsure: I may be missing something here though (I'm not really familiar with which versions of Renpy or Python are compatible with which versions of Windows anymore) and I have no idea if the current version posted here is different from the versions I tried. All I'm saying is that for me the latest version from Steam (as well as the old 1.0c non-steam build) still works fine on Win7 64bit.

4.80 star(s) 572 Votes