VoidExile

Oct 1, 2018
Oh man, that sounds really cool. It would be so great if there was some kind of interactive fiction that did this, like made you a part of the initially exploitative premise and not only gave it a unique spin but like let you control events too. Bonus points if it had like great character development and really made you feel things as you experienced the story. Does anyone know of such a thing?

Anyone?

Nah, didn't think so. Unicorns like that don't exist. Clearly. What a goddamn shame.

I was reminded of that as well. But the idea that it can "train" you as the player for such a loss... I don't want to be a downer or anything but I have to disagree with that even as an idea. I lost my mom a couple of months ago, at the end of June. And I gotta tell you, nothing can sufficiently "train" you for a loss like that.* Nothing.

*Insert appropriate disclaimers for people who have less close, more complicated, or nonexistent relationships with a parent, etc. My experience is not everyone's experience.
Man, sorry to hear that. My father is the person closest to me and I don't know if my stepmom would stick around if he died. Knowing he works on roofs setting up solar panels and had an injury because of careless coworkers, one can't help but be worried when I think about it.

It does (subjectively) confirm that deaths of beloved characters in games aren't really doing the players any favor.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Ozymandias037

TD1900

Game Developer
Dec 8, 2017
I was reminded of that as well. But the idea that it can "train" you as the player for such a loss... I don't want to be a downer or anything but I have to disagree with that even as an idea. I lost my mom a couple of months ago, at the end of June. And I gotta tell you, nothing can sufficiently "train" you for a loss like that.* Nothing.
I'm really sorry for your loss; I know what it's like. When you're so close, there are just so many things that bring your mind back to grief. Things you did together, watched, things they liked, the phrases people use. In time though, it's not so bad being reminded of them. With luck, some of those those things become life affirming. Something that brings back good memories.

My dad and I used to watch Mythbusters and Dirty Jobs together. Those shows are really special now.

It does (subjectively) confirm that deaths of beloved characters in games aren't really doing the players any favor.
It can be helpful, especially if you have a tight lid on your emotions. Fiction can help someone process real life experiences and a sad moment can act as a release valve for tightly-wound feelings.

But it can also do you no favors. Just a matter of person, perspective, and the story in question. After all, it is not like anyone is seeking that out from something like Sister Sim Sleep Fucker 4. :p

Last edited:

MacLovin'

Jun 12, 2018
So I’m just at the start of week 3, after the date with Hana and fucking her silly. How far along am I ?

Ottoeight

Forum Fanatic
Mar 13, 2021
I disagree, clearly from the first moment we can be sons of bitches taking advantage of women in a vulnerable situation, letting all the sadistic instincts of the MC come out or trying to help them cope with their difficult situation by supporting them in whatever way we can.

And this is not only with the carnations, but also several characters like Mina, Hana or Killian and some more secondary characters.
Well, I said "dark grey areas" and "light grey area". Even when Edwin tries to "help" them, nonetheless his actions and the benefit he gets are questionable, to say the least.

No one is a saint and everybody is a sinner in this story (yes, everybody), but some sinners go straight to hell and some have a chance to either redeem themselves or lessen their guilt.

Ozymandias037

Sep 25, 2023
Man, sorry to hear that. My father is the person closest to me and I don't know if my stepmom would stick around if he died. Knowing he works on roofs setting up solar panels and had an injury because of careless coworkers, one can't help but be worried when I think about it.

I'm really sorry for your loss; I know what it's like. When you're so close, there are just so many things that bring your mind back to grief. Things you did together, watched, things they liked, the phrases people use. In time though, it's not so bad being reminded of them. With luck, some of those those things become life affirming. Something that brings back good memories.

My dad and I used to watch Mythbusters and Dirty Jobs together. Those shows are really special now.

It can be helpful, especially if you have a tight lid on your emotions. Fiction can help someone process real life experiences and a sad moment can act as a release valve for tightly-wound feelings.

But it can also do you no favors. Just a matter of person, perspective, and the story in question. After all, it is not like anyone is seeking that out from something like Sister Sim Sleep Fucker 4. :p
Thank you both. I'd also like to clarify: I don't mean to say that watching characters in fiction die or experience illness or loss can't be cathartic, or can't help us explore these tough emotions in "safer" ways. I think both of those things can and do happen! Nobody would read or write poetry or make art or really do anything else creative if it didn't help us process our emotions and connect with other people. And certainly creating fiction in which characters have to deal with situations like mine is one way that creators can process their emotions. One example that comes to mind is the developer of Come Home has been open about her game being one way in which she has processed a loss. I guess the distinction I'm making here (and maybe it only exists for me!) is that these things aren't very useful as preparation, but as a coping or healing mechanism they can indeed be helpful.

packor

Oct 11, 2021
is there a way to edit the font used? It's hard to read.

Clarification: It's a nice looking font, but the horizontal spacing is too tight. My eyes are going past the text intead of reading it unless I'm really focused on the text(like squinting), and that's tiring. I need to change the font or be able to alter the spacing.

Edit: Okay, I changed def register_mudgefont's default kern to 2 in font.py, and that seems to have helped.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biscardone

Idontplay

Oct 30, 2017
Stay tuned for our next project.
So will your next project be Sister Sim Sleep Fucker and like Star Wars will it start with the Episode 4?
:unsure:
Jeorge Lukas leave that body!
:LOL:

P.S. For those who will think I'm serious, I'm not, I'm joking.

P.P.S. I didn't think there was any need for a disclaimer that the one above.

Bill Temple

May 20, 2021
Assuming you're not on mobile, pop the attached gui.rpy file in the \PaleCarnations-Ch4Up4-pc\game folder. In almost all cases, Renpy loads the file outside the archive instead of the archived version, so the following should work.
Edit gui.rpy with a text editor like Notepad. Change 'Tellural.ttf' on line 58 to a font you want, and make sure you have a corresponding font file for it in PaleCarnations-Ch4Up4-pc\game\gui\fonts. There are already several fonts in there you could try, but if none of those are suitable to your needs, there's fonts available everywhere.

Before editing, lines 57 and 58 are:
Code:
## The font used for in-game text.
define gui.text_font = "gui/fonts/Tellural.ttf"
If you mean font size, the steps are similar. Just edit line 67 instead, but be aware that you can overrun the dialogue box if you get too crazy with the font size.
Lines 66 and 67 are:
Code:
## The size of normal dialogue text.
define gui.text_size = 27
Changes to the gui file, of course, only take effect upon starting the game, unless you have developer mode enabled and turn on auto reload, in which case I'd wonder why you're asking this question.

If you're on mobile, I'm not sure. I've never used phones to play Renpy VNs. The kids borrow my phone all the time, and I don't need a "Hey Daddy, what's this?" moment. :eek: So I don't have experience modifying the game files on those platforms. The steps are probably similar, but the line for mobile font size is 431. Happy modding!

UmbralKnight

Aug 24, 2024
Stay tuned for our next project.
if you ever think about making a new project or another game set in this same game universe
you guys must consider making a noir game when i started playing pale carnations it gave a strong noir vibe the monologues ,the music , the premise and especially the dames definitely gave a strong noir impression
i would love to see something that
someday i hope

Mar 29, 2023

Clarification: It's a nice looking font, but the horizontal spacing is too tight. My eyes are going past the text intead of reading it unless I'm really focused on the text(like squinting), and that's tiring. I need to change the font or be able to alter the spacing.

Edit: Okay, I changed def register_mudgefont's default kern to 2 in font.py, and that seems to have helped.
renpy does also have some accessibility controls which I use in situations like this. Shift-A and you can make some basic font face and size overrides. I generally find just adjusting the size is enough even on tougher fonts for me to be happy and it's much quicker than editing the game scripts. It does occasionally mean longer strings don't fit in the text box, but that's a small price to pay for being able to enjoy the game.

4.90 star(s) 490 Votes